Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Power of Exercising...

I've been recently exercising really hard. Really, really hard. Once upon a time about 4 yrs ago, my weight was 164 lbs and since I stand at 5 feet 6 inches, it was a reasonable weight and I fit into a nice snug pair of 12 jeans. I loved it and everything was well in Krithika's land. I was 34 years old, had a great job, had a good husband and loved to eat out and I exercised too. So all was hunky dory or so I thought..

Fall of 2003 , I became pregnant with my first daughter.. It was a miracle conception in that , hubby and I were married for 9 years before I got viably pregnant.. The history behind the pregnancy and all the ensuing complications are for a different blog. Not today... Anyway suffice to say, I stopped my intense boot camp sessions. I was a lover of boot camp. I loved the adrenanline, the early morning smells of fresh bagesl and starbucks coffee and the assorted joggers I met on a regular basis... It was my early morning fix..

After I became pregnant, I stopped bootcamp. I could not keep up with the intense workouts and also could not wake up early enough every morning.. That was when it all began. Falling off the wagon or is it on the wagon. I never am quite sure. Flash front to 4 years later and 3 kids after (Yes, you heard me right!!! 3 kids. After a daughter in 2004 , we were blessed!!! with twin boys in 2006) exercising was not a priority. I had a zillion things to do. I had quit my job, stayed at home to be a full time SAHM and just had no time to exercise.

The wake up call was given by my general physicaian who took one look at me and said, "You've got to reduce that weight"! The way he said it and the inflection of his tone along with my cholesterol results of 225 was enough to jolt me into activity. I signed up at 24 hour fitness with a personal trainer 3 times a week in Oct of last year. 3 days a week of intense physical training and strength training with weights and 5 days a week of 1 hr cardio has paid off. I have lost almost 22 lbs and still have about 14 more to go.

Today I signed up for The Great Race which is a race between Saratoga downtown and Los Gatos downtown in the Bay Area. It feels great. I feel light. I still eat well and I indulge in my favourite fries from The Red Robin once a month. But I work it off the next day. I gave up white rice and now it is brown rice. It is more chewy and has more texture and it is great...

It's hard but definitely doable..

Kay...

1 comment:

Balaji said...

Great that u got jolted into activity and even better than u stuck to it! Quite an inspirational post!

Yes, this is the same Balaji from Latham Street. looks like we're almost neighbors now also :)