Friday, March 21, 2008

Allergy, Allergy!!


Poor Pravan has been diagnosed with severe allergies. He has demonstrated allergy affinities for cat hair, peanuts and eggs. His peanut allergy is pretty severe with a 9 out of 10. Poor Pallu!
I am going to have my hands full taking care of his lifestyle change. It's going to be a lifestyle change for all of us in the family I think. He cant have any baked goods like muffins, cakes, pastriess, bread, pasta which are store bought or particiapate in any birthday parties where these are served. Our doctor has told us that he will probably outgrow the eggs allergy before he is 10 but probably not the nut allergy. He'll probably have that for life. That's the scary part. I cant imagine an active young man (and believe me he is hyperactive!!) being curtailed for life by a nut allergy. Once he turns 3 or 4, his day care teachers and primary school teachers will have to be taught to adminster epinephrine in case of an accidental dose of peanuts. Once he is 5 or 6 he will have to taught to refuse food offered by anyone just in case it has trace amounts of peanuts. It is going to be a lifestyle change for him and us. Once he is 10 and above, he will have to learn to administer epinephrine just in case he does not have anybody near him who can adminster epinephrine.. Poor Pallu!
Giri is of the opinion that they tend to overdianose in this country. I disagree. I think doctors tell the patients everything that can possibly go wrong and it is up to the patient to do the needful. In case, this allergy had gone undiagnosed and we had learnt about it the hard way by a trip to the ER, I would have been livid and probably decided to sue the hospital and the doctor for not letting me know earlier. What's the right thing to do here? I guess it is all for the good. Platitudes - I agree but they are so apt for life..
Nothing more to add. I am 38 yrs old and I received a jolt in my life today because of my son. I guess children really make your hair turn gray. I remember a notice board that used to hang in my sociology teacher's office - It said "Insanity is hereditary! You get it from your kids!!". So true..
More later...
Kay

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kay - I'm the mom of a 9-year old boy with a peanut allergy who surfed in via google alerts. I know it's overwhelming at first, but it does get easier!

If you haven't found it yet, the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Networt (FAAN) is a great reasource.

www.foodallergy.org

Also, this message board is a great place to ask question and get support:

www.foodallergysupport.com

Best wishes!

Kay said...

Thanks Greenlady31. I was a tad overwhelmed I must say but am doing better now. Will look into the resources that you mentioned for sure..

Thanks
Kay